Slomškov Trg & Glavni Trg
Slomškov Trg & Glavni Trg information
The Abbey Church of St Daniel , dating from the early 14th century, has some magnificent frescoes and tombstones, but its greatest treasure is a carved wooden pietà dating from 1415. The chapel has carved stone walls and vaults with remnants of frescoes from the early 15th century and carved effigies of the Apostles. Parts of Celje’s medieval walls and ramparts can be seen along Ulica na Okopih, west of the church. In the southeast corner of Slomškov trg is the Chapel of St Elizabeth and the 15th-century town almshouse .
Contiguous with Slomškov trg is Glavni trg , the heart of the Old Town. It is filled with lovely town houses dating from the 17th and 18th centuries and, in the warmer months, outdoor cafes. In the centre of the square is the requisite plague pillar (1776) dedicated to Mary.