Abbey Church of St Daniel
Abbey Church of St Daniel information
A few steps to the northwest of the Water Tower is the Abbey Church of St Daniel, dating from the early 14th century. The church has some magnificent frescoes and tombstones, but its greatest treasure is a 15th-century carved wooden pietà in the Chapel of the Sorrowful Mother to the left of the sanctuary. The chapel has carved stone walls and vaults with remnants of frescoes from the early 15th century and carved effigies of the Apostles.
Parts of Celje's medieval walls and ramparts can be seen along Ulica na Okopih, west of the church. Contiguous with Slomškov trg is Glavni trg , the heart of the Old Town. It is filled with lovely townhouses dating from the 17th and 18th centuries. In the centre of the square is the requisite plague pillar (1776) dedicated to Mary.