Lews Castle

Lews Castle information

The Baronial mansion across the harbour from Stornoway town centre was built in the 1840s for the Matheson family, then owners of Lewis; it was gifted to the community by Lord Leverhulme in 1923. A major redevelopment sees the new Museum nan Eilean (Museum of the Isles) opening here from summer 2015, covering the history of the Outer Hebrides and exploring traditional island life. The beautiful wooded grounds , criss-crossed with walking trails, are open to the public and host the Hebridean Celtic Festival in July.