Royal Scottish Academy

Royal Scottish Academy information

Location
Edinburgh , Scotland
Address
The Mound
Getting there
Bus: all Princes St buses
More information
www.royalscottishacademy.org
Prices
fee for special exhibitions
Opening hours
10am-5pm Mon-Sat, 2-5pm Sun
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

The distinguished Greek Doric temple at the corner of The Mound and Princes St, its northern pediment crowned by a seated figure of Queen Victoria, is the home of the Royal Scottish Academy. Designed by William Playfair and built between 1823 and 1836, it was originally called the Royal Institution; the RSA took over the building in 1910. The galleries display a collection of paintings, sculptures and architectural drawings by academy members dating from 1831, and they also host temporary exhibitions throughout the year.

The RSA and the Scottish National Gallery are linked via an underground mall – the Weston Link – which gives them twice the temporary exhibition space of the Prado in Madrid and three times that of the Royal Academy in London, as well as housing cloakrooms, a lecture theatre and a restaurant.