Tron Kirk

sights / Architecture

Lonely Planet review

Built in 1637, and taking its name from the tron, or public weighbridge, that once stood on the site, this church is famous for its magnificent oak hammer-beam roof, which rivals that in the Great Hall at Edinburgh Castle. The floor has been excavated by archaeologists to reveal the cobbled surface of Marlin’s Wynd, a late-16th-century alley with the remains of cellars, staircases and medieval drains on either side.