George Heriot’s School

sights / Architecture

George Heriot’s School information

Location
Edinburgh , Scotland
Address
Lauriston Pl
Telephone
+44 229 7263
Getting there
Bus: 23 or 27
Opening hours
Sep only
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

One of the most impressive buildings in the Old Town, this school was built in the 17th century with funds bequeathed by George Heriot (goldsmith and banker to King James VI, and popularly known as Jinglin’ Geordie). It was originally a school and home for orphaned children, but became a fee-paying public school in 1886. It’s open to the public on Doors Open Day (www.doorsopendays.org.uk) in September.