City Chambers

sights / Architecture

City Chambers information

Location
Edinburgh , Scotland
Address
High St
Getting there
Bus: 23, 27, 41, 42
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

The imposing Georgian City Chambers, home to the City of Edinburgh Council, was originally built by John Adam (brother of Robert) between 1753 and 1761 to serve as the Royal Exchange – a covered meeting place for city merchants – replacing the traditional meeting place of the Mercat Cross. However, the merchants preferred their old stamping grounds in the street and the building became the offices of the city council in 1811.

Though only four storeys high on the Royal Mile side, the building plummets 12 storeys on the northern side, overlooking Cockburn St. Though not open to the public, the City Chambers were built over the sealed-off remains of three Old Town closes; the spooky remains of these can be explored on a guided tour of the Real Mary King's Close .