go to content go to search box go to global site navigation



Currently, if you're a citizen of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa or the USA, you're permitted to stay in the UK for up to six months (no visa required), but are prohibited from working.

EU citizens can live and work in the UK free of immigration control and don't need a visa to enter the country.

All other nationalities should contact their nearest British diplomatic mission to obtain a visa. Six-month/one-year multiple-entry visas cost from £50/85.

There is no extra immigration control for Scotland if you arrive from England or Northern Ireland. For more information, see www.ukvisas.gov.uk.


To extend your stay in Britain contact the Home Office, Immigration and Nationality Directorate (0870 606 7766; Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Rd, Croydon, London CR9 2BY) before your existing permit expires. You'll need to send your passport with your application.