Arbroath is an old-fashioned seaside resort and fishing harbour, home of the famous Arbroath smokie (a form of smoked haddock). The humble smokie achieved European Union 'Protected Geographical Indication' status in 2004 – the term 'Arbroath smokie' can be only be used legally to describe haddock smoked in the traditional manner within an 8km radius of Arbroath.
Known as the Wee Red Town because of its close-packed, red-sandstone houses, Kirriemuir is famed as the birthplace of JM Barrie (1860–1937), writer and creator of the much-loved Peter Pan. A bronze statue of the 'boy who wouldn't grow up' graces the intersection of Bank and High Sts.
The name of the local football team, Brechin City, proclaims this diminutive town's main claim to fame – as the seat of Brechin Cathedral (now demoted to a parish church) it has the right to call itself a city, albeit the smallest one in Scotland. Adjacent to the cathedral is a 32m-high round tower built around 1000 as part of a Celtic monastery.
The Angus Glens
Five scenic glens – Isla, Prosen, Clova, Lethnot and Esk – cut into the hills along the southern fringes of the Cairngorms National Park, accessible from Kirriemuir in Angus. All have attractive scenery, though each glen has its own distinct personality: Glen Clova and Glenesk are the most beautiful, while Glen Lethnot is the least frequented.
The picturesque village of Edzell, with its broad main street and grandiose monumental arch, dates from the early 19th century when Lord Panmure decided that the original medieval village, a mile to the west, spoiled the view from Edzell Castle. The old village was razed and the villagers moved to this pretty, planned settlement.
Long and lonely Glen Prosen has a remote and secretive atmosphere, feeling very cut-off though it's barely half-a-dozen miles from the town of Kirriemuir. Near the foot of the glen, there's a good forest walk up to the Airlie monument on Tulloch Hill (380m); start from the eastern road, about a mile beyond Dykehead.
Glen Lethnot is noted for the Brown & White Caterthuns – two extraordinary Iron Age hill forts, defended by ramparts and ditches, perched on twin hilltops at its southern end. A minor road crosses the pass between the two summits, and it's an easy walk to either fort from the parking area in the pass; both are superb viewpoints.