Monument sights in Volga Region
- Sort by:
Ploshchad Slavy is a memorial to Samara's role in WWII. The shiny 53m-high statue of a worker holding a pair of wings symbolises the city's aviation-related contributions: local factories produced the IL-2, known as the 'flying tank', during WWII.
Below the Museum of the Defence of Stalingrad & Panorama on the riverside is a Memorial to Veterans of the Afghan War. The startling ruins nearby are the only evidence of the Battle of Stalingrad left in the centre. Ironically, this former flour mill had been constructed by the Germans in 1893. It has been left as a reminder of the devastating battle.