Church Of The Deposition Of The Robe
On the northern side of Sobornaya ploshchad, with five golden helmet domes and four semicircular gables facing the square, the...
Hall of Facets
Named for its Italian Renaissance stone facing, the Hall of Facets was designed and built by Marco Ruffo and Pietro Solario between 1487...
The 16th- and 17th-century Terem Palace is the most splendid of the Kremlin palaces. Made of stone and built by Vasily III, the palace’s...
The Bolshoi Theatre doesn’t have a monopoly on ballet in Moscow. Leading dancers also appear with the Kremlin Ballet, which performs in...
Church Of The Deposition Of The Robe information
This delicate single-domed church, beside the west door of the Assumption Cathedral, was built between 1484 and 1486 in exclusively Russian style. It was the private chapel of the heads of the Church, who tended to be highly suspicious of such people as Italian architects.
Originally an open gallery or porch surrounded the church; it was later removed and the church was connected with the palace for the convenience of the tsars. The interior walls, ceilings and pillars are covered with 17th-century frescoes. It houses an exhibition of 15th- to 17th-century woodcarvings.