go to content go to search box go to global site navigation


Travel insurance

If you’re an EU citizen, a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) form, available from health centres or via www.dh.gov.uk in the UK, covers you for most medical care. Valid for three to five years, the EHIC will not cover you for nonemergencies or emergency repatriation. Citizens from other countries should find out if there is a reciprocal arrangement for free medical care between their country and the country visited. If you need health insurance, consider a policy that covers you for the worst possible scenario, such as an accident requiring an emergency flight home.