Romanian Patriarchal Cathedral
- Str Dealul Mitropoliei Piaţa Unirii
Lonely Planet review for Romanian Patriarchal Cathedral
Romanian Patriarchal Cathedral sits south of Piaţa Unirii, atop Patriarchy Hill. It's the majestic centre of the Romanian Orthodox faith. During the 15th century a small wooden church surrounded by vineyards stood on the hill. The cathedral consecrated the metropolitan centre of Wallachia in 1868, and was built in 1656-58 by Wallachian prince Şerban Basarab.
None of the original interior paintings or icons remains, bar a single icon (1665) depicting Constantin and Helen, the cathedral's patron saints. The present-day frescoes were painted by Dimitrie Belizarie in 1923. To the west is a small chapel, linked by a balcony to the Patriarchal Palace, the south wings of which date to 1932. Three beautifully carved 16th- and 17th-century stone crosses flank the northern wall of the cathedral. Alongside is a belfry (1698) and a former parliament building dating from 1907.