Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria
- Plaza Colón Town Center
Lonely Planet review for Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria
Consecrated in 1760, the city's original Catholic church was replaced by the current model in 1836. The cathedral suffered many blows over the subsequent 100 years, culminating in the 1918 earthquake which destroyed its ceiling, and a lightning bolt that toppled one of its bell towers. Ambitious renovation plans were drawn up by architect Luis Perocier in 1922, but due to lack of funds they were never truly realized. The full refurbishment wasn't actually completed until 2004.
The cathedral now sparkles afresh and survives as one of Puerto Rico's most evocative ecclesial monuments with gilded scenes from the life of Christ behind the altar.