Museo Casa Cautiño
Museo Casa Cautiño information
On the north side of the plaza, this museum was built as a criollo -style town house in 1887 to house the wealthy Cautiño family, who profited from the trio of cane, cattle and tobacco. Almost 100 years later, the government claimed the property for back taxes (a common event on the island, which has saved many heirlooms). Now the house has been restored to its dignified Victorian state, with Oriental carpets and period furnishings.