Fuerte San Gerónimo

sights / Military

Fuerte San Gerónimo information

San Juan
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

This fort at the east end of Puerta de Tierra was completed in 1788 to guard the entrance to Laguna del Condado. It was barely up and running in 1797 when the British came marching through to San Juan and a short-lived occupation. Restored in 1983, today San Gerónimo is hemmed in by tall hotels. The interior of the fort, entered via the walkway behind the Caribe Hilton, is rarely open, but the exterior walls are accessible and offer views of Condado across the inlet.