Embargo: Tuesday 19th November 2013
Whether it’s dinner in a world-famous restaurant or sampling an exotic dish from a street food vendor, our culinary experiences on the road are an integral part of our travel experience. These memorable food moments are the inspiration for Lonely Planet’s brand new title, A Fork in the Road, which serves up a collection of culinary tales from some of the greatest names in the world of food and literature.
The title focuses on how travel and eating combine to influence and inspire us, with 34 original stories to whet our appetites.
The stories featured in A Fork in the Road include;
– Author and award-winning restaurant critic of The Times, Giles Coren, on his first taste of American food
– Submarine author Joe Dunthorne‘s tale of adventurous eating, culminating in sampling Sardinian delicacy maggot cheese
– Writer, journalist and broadcaster, Jay Rayner, journeying to the Essex coast for a delectable seafood supper
– Cook and writer, Fuchsia Dunlop, on experiencing a different side of Chinese food and delighting in the dishes from the Chiuchow region
– Author Frances Mayes sharing her experiences of learning French cuisine in Provence
– Actress, cookery author and leading authority on Indian food, Madhur Jaffrey, providing a taste of Sri Lankan cuisine
The literary anthology is edited by James Oseland, editor-in-chief of critically acclaimed US food magazine, Saveur , and a judge on Top Chef Masters. James says, “At their most intense, these tastes of the new reveal something elemental about the place you’re in, and about yourself. These are the kinds of experiences I asked the writers in this book to capture in their stories.”
A Fork in the Road is published on the 19th November. Full list of contributors: André Aciman, Rita Mae Brown, Tom Carson, Giles Coren, Naomi Duguid, Fuchsia Dunlop, Joe Dunthorne, Louisa Ermelino, Gael Greene, Carla Hall, Kaui Hart Hemmings, M.J.Hyland, Madhur Jaffrey, David Kamp, Beth Kracklauer, Annabel Langbein, Tamasin Day-Lewis, David Mas Masumoto, Frances Mayes, Sigrid Nunez, Josh Ozersky, Neil Perry, Michael Pollan, Francine Prose, Jay Rayner, Alan Richman, Marcus Samuelsson, Jane and Michael Stern, Curtis Stone, Sandi Tan, Ma Thanegi, Monique Truong, Daniel Vaughn, Martin Yan.
About the Book:
A Fork in the Road is published by Lonely Planet and edited by James Oseland
ISBN: 978 1 74321 844 0
334pp, paperback, £8.99
In shops from 19th November 2013
Notes to Editors:
- Review copies are available upon request
- Editor James Oseland is available for interview
- Some contributors are available for interview
- Select excerpts available with permission
For further information please contact:
Heather Carswell, Media & Communications Manager, Lonely Planet: Heather.firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: +44 020 8433 1172
About Lonely Planet:
Lonely Planet is the world’s leading travel content provider, supplying inspiring and trustworthy information for those planning a trip, on the road or browsing as an armchair traveller. This year marks the company’s 40th anniversary and to-date, Lonely Planet has printed over 120 million books in nine languages to almost every destination on the planet. It also boasts mobile apps, a complete ebook portfolio, an award-winning website, and a dedicated traveller community. Visit us at lonelyplanet.com, join us on Facebook (facebook.com/lonelyplanet) and Twitter (@lonelyplanet and #lp).