The desire for adventure is deep in our DNA. It’s how we learn about ourselves and the world around us.
That desire is showcased at its breathtaking best in Lonely Planet’s thrilling new full-colour hardback, Great Adventures, published this month.
Following in the footsteps of last year’s best-selling Great Journeys, Great Adventures introduces classic challenges, takes you by boot, pedal or paddle to awe-inspiring natural spectacles, and provides the resources to plan your own trip of a lifetime.
Underwater chasms, ice-clad peaks and crocodile-infested rivers are just some of the highlights as Lonely Planet tours 75 of the world’s most exciting adventures.
Great Adventures assembles these experiences thematically, with chapters devoted to:
* Hike – Tramp New Zealand’s Milford Track; Summit a Nepalese Trekking Peak; Walk Turkey’s Lycian Way; Trek Chile’s Torres del Paine; Find the Source of the Oxus; Take on the Tour du Mont Blanc; and more
* Dive – Dive Bikini Atoll; Dive with Sharks in South Africa; Dive Iceland’s Tectonic Plates; and more
* Bike – Mountain Bike Moab’s Slickrock Trail; Cycle Through Vietnam; Mountain Bike Coed y Brenin; Cycle the Annapurna Circuit; Ride the Tour de France’s High Passes; and more
* Above & Below – Canyoneer Utah’s Paria Canyon; Paraglide Mont Blanc; Plunge into the Caves of Belize; and more
* Climb – Climb the Nose of El Capitan; Climb Mt Roraima, Venezuela; Climb Mt Everest; Take the Three Peaks Challenge; Summit Mt Kilimanjaro; and more
* Ice & Snow – Ice Trek Argentina’s Moreno Glacier; Ice Climb at Banff; Ski Tour the Haute Route; and more
* Animals – See Pandas in China; Walk with Wolves in Yellowstone; Track Mountain Gorillas in Uganda; Wash Elephants in Thailand; Explore Kruger’s Wilderness Trails; Ride with the Khampas; Camel Trek in Wadi Rum
* Water – White-water Sledge in New Zealand; Windsurf the Columbia River Gorge; Row the Thames; Kayak and Cruise Antarctica; Raft the Amazon; Coasteering in Pembrokeshire; Sail Croatia’s Dalmatian Coast; Raft the Source of the Nile; and more
* Drive – Race a Rickshaw; Drive the World’s Deadliest Road; Race the Plymouth–Banjul Rally; and more
Great Adventures also features an introduction by Ben Fogle, presenter of BBC Knowledge’s five-part television series, Lonely Planet’s Year of Adventures.
Lonely Planet’s Great Adventures
Available in stores now
RRP: AU$49.99 / NZ$59.99
+613 8379 8324