Faro Jewish Heritage Centre
Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Carmo & Capela dos Ossos
The twin-towered, baroque Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Carmo was completed in 1719 under João V and paid for (and gilded to death inside)...
Igreja de São Pedro
At the southern end of Largo do Carmo is this 16th-century church. The plain exterior hides an interesting interior of 18th-century...
Museu Regional do Algarve
Elements of old peasant life – such as a small fishing boat and a wooden water cart (used until the owner’s death in 1974) – are on...
This tiny and exquisite Italianate theatre hosts drama, music and dance performances. Adapted into a theatre in 1874 (from a building...
Located within the market complex, this unfancy treat-of-a-place is frequented by everyone and anyone, including – we are told – the...
Faro Jewish Heritage Centre information
The last vestiges of the first post-Inquisition Jewish presence in Portugal are found at the extraordinary Jewish cemetery, which has 76 beautiful marble gravestones. The small site also has a tiny museum and recreated synagogue (complete with a reconstructed wedding). Interested parties can ring in advance to arrange a guide. The centre is located north of town, near the Faro hospital; local buses (circuito bus 3) leave from in front of the Eva terminal. Alight at the Rotunda de Bombeiros bus stop and cross the road, the Estrada da Penha.