Universidade de Évora
Convento dos Lóios
The former Convento dos Lóios, to the right of Igreja de São João, has elegant Gothic cloisters topped by a Renaissance gallery. A...
Igreja de São João
The small, fabulous Igreja de São João, which faces the Templo Romano, was founded in 1485 by one Rodrigo Afonso de Melo, count of...
Opposite the Évora Museum are the remains of a Roman temple dating from the 2nd or early 3rd century. It's among the best-preserved...
Casa dos Bonecos
Actors from the grand municipal Teatro Garcia de Resende studied for several years with the only surviving master of a traditional rural...
Universidade de Évora information
Lonely Planet review
Just outside the walls to the northeast is the university’s main building (Colégio do Espírito Santo), a descendent (reopened in 1973) of the original Jesuit institution founded in 1559 (which closed when the Jesuits got shooed out by Marquês de Pombal in 1759). Inside are arched, Italian Renaissance-style cloisters , the Mannerist-style Templo do Espírito Santo and beautiful azulejos (hand-painted tiles).