Church

sights / Other

Church information

Évora , Portugal
Address
Street Praça 1 de Maio
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Lonely Planet review

Évora’s best-known church is a tall and huge Manueline-Gothic structure, completed around 1510 and dedicated to St Francis. Exuberant nautical motifs celebrating the Age of Discoveries deck the walls and reflect the confident, booming mood of the time. It’s all topped by a cross of Christ’s order and dome. Legend has it that the Portuguese navigator Gil Vicente is buried here.