North of the cathedral behind St George’s Church, this museum holds a collection of sacred sculptures and paintings, liturgical fabrics, coffin portraits and votive offerings.
Gniezno’s history and character are inextricably intertwined with its cathedral, an imposing, double-towered, brick Gothic structure. The present church was constructed after the 1331 destruction of the previous Romanesque cathedral by the Teutonic Knights. It changed a lot in later periods: chapels sprouted all around it, and the interior was redecorated in successive styles.
This museum on the far side of Lake Jelonek illustrates Gniezno’s pivotal role in Polish history. The permanent collection contains archaeological finds and works of art related to the development of the Polish nation from pre-Slavic times to the end of the Piast dynasty. The museum also runs an audiovisual presentation about Poland under the Piasts.