Island sights in Wrocław
- Sort by:
Cathedral Island - it was connected to the mainland in the 19th century - was the cradle of Wrocław. It was here that the Ślężanie, a tribe of West Slavs who gave their name to the region, constructed their stronghold in the 7th or 8th century. After the town was incorporated into the Polish state and a bishopric established in 1000, Wrocław's first church was built here.
Over time a number of churches, monasteries and other religious buildings were constructed, giving a distinctive, markedly ecclesiastical character to the district.
Sand Island is to the west of Cathedral Island (Ostrów Tumski) and is connected to Cathedral Island by the Cathedral Bridge (Most Tumski) and to the Old Town by the Sand Bridge (Most Piaskowy). The main monument here is the Church of Our Lady on the Sand, a lofty 14th-century building that dominates this tiny islet.