This gate leads from the castle area into the Old Town and was traditionally referred to as the 'Jewish' gate, since until WWII it also...
The only synagogue to survive of the 38 that functioned before WWII is in an early 20th-century building, which bears no distinguishing...
Originally a Gothic complex founded by King Kazimierz III Wielki in 1342, the Dominican Priority was rebuilt in Renaissance style after...
Fun, faux-Irish pub that’s right on the Rynek and popular with local Lubliners and visitors alike. Most people come for the extensive...
Złoty Osioł offers traditional ambience and extraordinarily good-value traditional meals. There are delicious fish dishes, slightly...
ul Zamkowa 9 · interesting places nearby
Lublin Castle information
Lublin’s royal castle dates from the 12th and 13th centuries, though it's been rebuilt many times over the years. It was here in 1569 that the union with Lithuania was signed. The castle is home to both the Lublin Museum and the surviving Gothic Chapel of the Holy Trinity , which dates from the 14th century. Each requires a separate entry ticket.
The museum's permanent collection features mainly art, folk art and weaponry. The 14th-century chapel is considered a masterpiece of the Middle Ages, with Russian-Byzantine-inspired frescos. Painted in 1418, only to be later plastered over, they were rediscovered in 1897 and painstakingly restored over a 100-year period. These are possibly the finest examples of medieval wall paintings in the country.
During WWII the occupying German army used the castle as a prison, holding as many as 40,000 inmates. The darkest day of the war here came in July 1944, just ahead of the prison’s liberation by the Soviet Red Army, when the Germans executed 300 prisoners on the spot.