Lima To Cuzco
All content by Intrepid
Travel through the soaring Inca heartland, from the beaches of Lima to the streets of Cuzco, high up in the Andes. Unlock the secrets of the many mystic sights as you explore the streets of Arequipa, trek along historic Inca pathways, explore the wildlife-studded Ballestas Islands and ramble over the ruins of Machu Picchu. From the colonial sights of Lima to the mighty Inca history in Cuzco, journey through the heart of Peru and discover the highlights of this fascinating country along the way.
- Spot penguins and boobies on the Ballestas Islands.
- Puzzle over the mysterious Nazca Lines.
- Visit the funerary towers at the Chauchilla Cemetery.
- Spot Andean condors in the Colca Canyon.
- Make new friends on a Peruvian village homestay.
- Follow in the steps of the ancient Peruvians on an Inca trek.
- Gaze on the crumbling beauty of Machu Picchu.
Day 1 Lima
Lima is a large, fascinating hotchpotch of architectural styles, coastal scenes, world cuisines, impressive museums, traditional culture and modern arts and nightlife.
Day 2 Paracas/Ballestas Islands
Home to a large number of birds and wildlife species, Paracas National Reserve helps preserve Peru's marine ecosystem and the cultural heritage of the Paracas people. With birds circling ahead, a dramatic coastline with stone arches and caves, and animals galore lazing on rocks and beaches, the Ballestas Islands are a visual feast.
Day 3 Nazca
Rebuilt completely after a devastating earthquake in 1996, Nazca is home to the mysterious Nazca Lines and a city of colourful houses with a pretty main square.
Day 4 Puerto Inca
Puerto Inca is a tiny, sandy place with an abundance of ruins and beautiful coastal scenery to enjoy.
Days 5-6 Arequipa
The beautiful 'White City' of Arequipa is surrounded by volcanoes, is rich in Spanish colonial architecture and abounds with local culture and cuisine.
Days 7-8 Chivay/Colca Canyon
Known for its love of karaoke, Chivay is a small town located near the Colca Canyon with an interesting market and some relaxing hot springs close by. Over twice as deep as the Grand Canyon, and with Andean Condors soaring high above, the Colca Canyon commands reverie.
Day 9 Raqchi Homestay
Traditional houses, customs and handicrafts are a signature part of Raqchi, a small village just outside of Cuzco.
Days 10-11 Cuzco
Cuzco is the gateway to Machu Picchu and a city with majestic architecture, impressive ruins, a lively town centre and cultural significance around every cobblestone corner.
Days 12-15 Quechua Community Trek/Classic Inca Trail
Winding around mountains, through valleys and up steep slopes, the iconic Inca Trail is a series of beautiful vistas and challenging hikes all the way to Machu Picchu.
Days 16-17 Machu Picchu/Cuzco
Built sometime in the 15th century and rediscovered in 1911, the staggering ruins of Machu Picchu were thought to be an estate for the Incan emperor, Pachacuti. A World Heritage site set amongst red-green hills with ruins scattered close by, Cuzco is impressive in every way - be it history, culture, nightlife or architecture.
Maximum of 22 travellers per group
Camping (with facilities), Homestay, Hotel
Boat, Overland vehicle, Train
1. You need to choose whether you wish to hike the Classic Inca Trail or the Quechua Community Trek at the time of booking. If you do not indicate a preference, the Quechua Community Trek will be confirmed automatically. Classic Inca Trail permits are sold on a request basis only. Once deposit is paid and passport details provided, Intrepid will endeavour to secure a permit for you. If Classic Inca Trail permits are unavailable by the time you book, you will be booked on the Quechua Community Trek instead. The Classic Inca Trail closes in February to allow cleaning and restoration works. If the trek portion of your trip starts in February you will be automatically booked to hike the Quechua Community Trek . Should you choose not to hike at all, please let us know in writing at the time of booking so alternative arrangements can be made. Without this prior warning, local fees may apply. 2. Please note that this trip requires minimum numbers to depart, and may be cancelled up until 56 days prior to departure. The places showing on the dates and availability page are an indication only so please contact Intrepid to check if your preferred date will depart before making any final arrangements, such as booking non-changeable flights.