Fuerte San Jerónimo
San Juan de Dios Chapel
Ruins of a Catholic church from 1589.
Iglesia de San Félipe
This 1814 Catholic church is the home of Portobelo's famed Black Christ . Believers attribute miracles to the 1.5m statue that was found...
Real Aduana de Portobelo
The handsome, two-story Royal Customs House of Portobelo was originally built in 1630 to serve as the contaduría (counting house) for...
Located at the Casa Congo , the best feature of this restaurant is its location. There's ample open-air seating right on the beautiful...
Fuerte San Jerónimo information
Fuerte San Jerónimo, close to Portobelo center, was the largest fortress ever built to protect the bay. Eighteen cannon embrasures face the mouth of the bay, some exactly where the Spanish troops left them in 1821, the year Panama declared independence. Beyond the impressive gateway, there's the remains of the officers’ quarters, barracks and a guardroom.
If you’re short on time, San Jerónimo is the most complete of Portobelo's accessible forts and makes for the best visit.