Sights in Quetta To Sibi
- Sort by:
About 24km beyond Mach, after passing several coalmines, a rough track running right off the main road leads to Pir Gheib. This beautiful rock pool is fed by a cascade and is surrounded and enclosed by cliffs and trees. There's another pool with calmer waters slightly downstream. Near the pool is a small shrine to a saint. Foreigners need a special permit to come to both the shrine and Pir Gheib - for the latest details ask at the PTDC office in Quetta.
With your own vehicle, a day trip from Quetta is just about feasible.
In 1878, after an earlier assault on the town in 1841, the British captured Sibi and renamed it Sandemanabad, for Robert Sandeman. The most imposing of the extant buildings from the British era is the 1903 Queen Victoria Memorial Hall, now named Jirga Hall. It is so named because it was the assembly chamber for the British and the leading tribal notables during the annual jirga (council of tribal elders) held during the Sibi Mela.
It now houses the small archaeological and historical Sibi Museum.
The 15th-century ruins of Mir Chakar's Fort lie on the outskirts of Sibi. There's also an old caravanserai (traditional accommodation for camel caravans), the Sohbat Serai, constructed by tribal chief Sadar Sohbat Khan.