Old Magistrates’ Court
This old courthouse was built in 1898 for Carl Ludwig, the state architect, but it was never used and was eventually drafted into...
This spot, cafe by day, bar by night, features a terrace with the capital’s largest rubber tree. Live music and karaoke features as does...
This sheltered spot beneath a giant rubber tree with outdoor terrace on the edge of Zoo Park is just lovely for a cappuccino accompanied...
Zoo Park information
Although this leafy park served as a public zoo until 1962, today it functions primarily as a picnic spot and shady retreat for lunching office workers. Five thousand years ago the park was the site of a Stone Age elephant hunt, as evidenced by the remains of two elephants and several quartz tools found here in the early 1960s. This prehistoric event is honoured by the park’s prominent elephant column , designed by Namibian sculptor Dörthe Berner.
A rather anachronous mate to the elephant column is the Kriegerdenkmal (War Memorial), topped by a rather frightening golden imperial eagle, which was dedicated in 1987 to the memory of German Schutztruppe soldiers who died in the Nama wars of 1893–94.