When ill winds blow, head for this museum at the foot of the lighthouse, where you can hole up and learn about the town's history. The...
This operational lighthouse , an endearing Swakopmund landmark just off Strand St, was constructed in 1902. It was originally built 11m...
Kaiserliches Bezirksgericht (State House)
This rather stately building was constructed in 1902 to serve as the district magistrates’ court. It was extended in 1905, and again in...
Lighthouse Pub & Cafe
With a postcard-perfect view of the beach and crashing surf, the Lighthouse Pub & Cafe is an atmospheric choice for lovers of fine...
The Mole information
In 1899, architect FW Ortloff’s sea wall (better known as the Mole) was intended to enhance Swakopmund’s poor harbour and create a mooring place for large cargo vessels. But Mr Ortloff was unfamiliar with the Benguela Current, which sweeps northwards along the coast, carrying with it a load of sand from the southern deserts. Within less than five years, the harbour entrance was choked off by a sand bank, and two years later the harbour itself had been invaded by sand to create what is now called Palm Beach. The Mole is currently used as a mooring for pleasure boats.