Zanabazar Museum of Fine Arts
Federation for the Preservation of Mahayana Tradition
The centre is involved in the regeneration of Buddhist culture in Mongolia and offers free lectures and courses on various aspects of...
Ananda Meditation Centre
Offers yoga courses nightly at 6.30pm (Hatha yoga with chanting and meditation) in a building near UB Guesthouse. It’s best to call...
The Face Club is a lively little place with a Tahitian theme. It has live bands and DJs. It’s the most centrally located nightclub in...
With a rundown facade and a bare-bones interior, this cafe may not be the most cosy place in town, but the all-vegan menu does offer a...
Juulchin Gudamj · interesting places nearby
Zanabazar Museum of Fine Arts information
This fine-arts museum has a superb collection of paintings, carvings and sculptures, including many by the revered sculptor and artist Zanabazar. It also contains other rare, and sometimes old, religious exhibits such as scroll thangka (paintings) and Buddhist statues, representing the best display of its kind in Mongolia. A bonus is that most of the exhibit captions in the museum are in English.
The second room contains some fine examples of the sculptor’s work, including five Dhyani, or Contemplation, Buddhas (cast in 1683) and Tara in her 21 manifestations.
Also worth checking out are the wonderful tsam masks (worn by monks during religious ceremonies) and the intricate paintings, One Day in Mongolia and the Airag Feast , by the renowned artist B Sharav. These paintings depict almost every aspect of nomadic life.
As you enter the building on the left, a room displays ancient art, including deer stones that date to the Bronze Age. To the right is a shop selling souvenirs and contemporary art.
The building itself carries some historical value. It was built in 1905, making it one of the oldest Manchu-era commercial buildings in the city. It was first used as a Chinese Bank, Soviet troops stayed here in the 1920s and it later served as Ulaanbaatar’s first State Department Store. It has been an art museum since 1966.