Shadavdarjaliin Khiid

sights / Religious

Shadavdarjaliin Khiid information

Lonely Planet review

Shadavdarjaliin Khiid, in the western part of town near the Sports Palace, is a freshly painted, walled temple complex with some ovoo (shamanistic offering) trees and a dozen monks. The original monastery in this area was built in 1660 and housed the first Buddhist philosophy school in Mongolia and at its peak, before the Stalinist purges of 1938, the monastery was home to more than 1000 monks.