Övgön Khiid

sights / Historic

Övgön Khiid information

Khögnö Khan Uul Nature Reserve , Mongolia
GPS N 47°26.267’, E 103°42.527’
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

These ruins are a lovely 45-minute (2km) walk along a well-defined path up the valley to the right of Erdiin Khambiin Khiid. The monastery was built in 1660 and destroyed (and the monks massacred) by the armies of Zungar Galdan Bochigtu, a rival of Zanabazar’s, in 1640.