Ruin sights in Middle East
- Sort by:
Beside the cave in which Jesus is believed to have spoken to his disciples, Queen Helena, mother of Emperor Constantine, constructed the Church of the Pater Noster. The church, also known as the Church of the Eleona – a bastardisation of the Greek word elaionas ( olive grove) – was destroyed by the Persians in 614. The site later became known as the place where Jesus is believed to have taught the Lord’s Prayer, a belief that inspired the Crusaders to construct an oratory among the ruins in 1106.