- Before you post. Search to see if someone’s already asked a similar question. Ask a better question and you’ll get a better answer. (Please fill out your profile, it’ll help us to help you.)
- Travel companions. If you’re looking for someone to travel with, the best place to post is in our travel companions forum.
- Keep it travel-related. We want to remind you that this forum is a place for travellers and travel enthusiasts to share tips, information, and their experiences about Mexico.
This branch covers travel to and around Mexico.
Here are some tips to help you find the information you want and need:
1. Research before asking a question. It will help you get better, more detailed and useful answers from the community if you've already done some homework. It's also polite. The community is here to help, but we're not your personal search engine. Invest some preliminary time and we'll help you fill in the gaps.
2. Explore Lonely Planet's Destinations online, which has a…
Hi, I am hoping to climb Pico de Orizaba and Ixtaccihauti in the late fall or winter. Has anyone climbed with an agency or tour group or guide that they would recommend? I have climbed some peaks but prefer to climb with someone who is experienced in climbing these peaks.
I recently returned from my first solo trip to Mexico and was there from May 21 to June 1.
First of all, I just wanted to thank those who responded to topics that I had posted on this forum prior to my trip. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
I had some concerns about my safety prior to leaving, as this was my first solo trip abroad. I had been to Mexico before, but always with family while staying at resorts, so backpacking solo as a female and staying in hostels was…
I'm interested this October in a solo overnight or multi-day bicycle trip (bikepacking) through the Copper Canyon. I would ride a mountain bike on dirt roads or trails and have the ability to carry camping equipment with me.
My main question is: is it safe to pitch a tent in the Copper Canyon alone at night? If that is unwise, are there recommended bicycle routes or any concerns around riding a bike alone? Are there guides who are skilled mountain bikers I should be contacting…
I'm thinking of going for a very short ,(3-4 day) trip to Yucatán / Quintana Too in mid-July, to swim with the whale sharks and mantas.
Is Holbox really the best place for this? Is there anywhere closer to Cancun that would be equally good? I will have so little time...
Nice diving would be a bonus (I heard its not great in Holbox).
I'm a concert promoter from Europe and travelling to Mexico this winter in December. Does anyone have tips on good speakeasy's, underground music bars, hole in the wall places to have a few mezcals and a beer? Good music, more towards the rock-punk-psychedelic scene? Not into the hipster scenester places where everyone is checking out everyones jeans or haircuts, more the dive bar with a good record collection.
I tried googling it but that didn't turn up many solid ideas.
I am visiting a mate in Lazaro Cardenas and plan on doing a road trip from there to Puerto Vallarta along the coastal roads. I am reading a lot of warnings about travel through Jalisco and Michocoan and just wondering if the coastal roads are safer to travel or is everywhere in these states dangerous to travel too?
I am heading there in January so I dont know if that time of the year presents any further risk or not?
Cheers in advance
I've been reading all the posts and getting quite inspired, so hopefully I don't double up and ask annoying questions.
I have 1 month in Mexico in October (including flying in/out of LA). First week is slated for Los Michos to Chihuahua on the train. A couple questions:
- Has anyone heard of changes to El Chepe's schedule? We'd planned to leave El Feurte on the Monday but apparently that is set to change in August.
- Would we be missing anything by skipping the train from Divisadero to Creel…
We're getting in around 10:30 pm and will need a taxi to get to our hotel. The hotel is offering a round trip (we're flying out the next morning) deal for US$45. Can we do better on our own this late at night?