- Before you post. Search to see if someone’s already asked a similar question. Ask a better question and you’ll get a better answer. (Please fill out your profile, it’ll help us to help you.)
- Travel companions. If you’re looking for someone to travel with, the best place to post is in our travel companions forum.
- Keep it travel-related. We want to remind you that this forum is a place for travellers and travel enthusiasts to share tips, information, and their experiences about Mexico.
This branch covers travel to and around Mexico.
Here are some tips to help you find the information you want and need:
1. Research before asking a question. It will help you get better, more detailed and useful answers from the community if you've already done some homework. It's also polite. The community is here to help, but we're not your personal search engine. Invest some preliminary time and we'll help you fill in the gaps.
2. Explore Lonely Planet's Destinations online, which has a…
I'm a retired medical professional and have enjoyed travelling quite a bit in Mexico since retirement. As age creeps up on me, I feel less like moving around and more like settling down in a pleasant community for several months at a time. My wife and I have taken several sessions of language school with homestay and have always enjoyed the local contacts that facilitates. We even improved our language skills, although neither of us can truly be considered fluent. It has surprised me, though…
I'm planning to go to Oaxaca at the end of October and then, after the Day of th Dead, I'm going to Huatulco at the coast.
I'll hire a car and plan to drive from Oaxaca to Huatulco.
I've heard that a motorway was being built to connect the city of Oaxaca to the Pacific coast near Huatulco.
Does anyone knows if this motorway is already opened or partially opened?
I'd like to afford some time during this trip.
My wife and I are retired. We are slow travelers, preferring to take it easy when seeing the sights. Afternoon siestas are not out of the question.
I'm keeping an eye on the strikes and blockades in Chiapas, but so far my sample itinerary.
January 31 fly to Tuxtla, taxi or shuttle to San Cristobal de las Casas, stay 6 nights
Feb 6 Bus (AEXA) or collectivo to Ocosingo, stay 2 nights
February 7 Tour Tonina
February 8 Bus or collectivo to Palenque, stay one night in town.
February 9 Transfer to El…
For more on the hotel seizures in Tulum, there was a detailed article in yesterday's Globe and Mail, "A Canadian businessman's fight to get his Mexican hotel back." If you are interested, you can probably get it by googling Graham Alexander Tulum hotel. It has reappeared in a number of places on the net.
We're headed to Mexico this December (2016). We're renting a car and driving for the most part, and we're mainly interested in ruins, wildlife, hiking, caving, etc. Family of 5, 3 teenage boys, so we're not that interested in beach/relaxation travel, more into adventure.
Any feedback or suggestions about this itinerary would be appreciated.
Day 1: arrive night in Merida
Day 2: Merida check out city, afternoon cenote visit
Day 3: leave for Uxmal early AM (1-2 hr drive), check out…
I've done some searches on these forums for minivans and some old information stated that they leave from Arista #116 in Oaxaca and take approximately 6 hours to get to Puerto Escondido... what I'm hoping for is to confirm that this information is still valid (or if there are other companies going from somewhere else), and an approximately pricing? I've seen pricing quoted anywhere between 130 and 400 peso (depending on the age of the information).
Also, I believe some Dimenhidrinato…