Parroquia de la Purísima Concepción

sights / Other

Parroquia de la Purísima Concepción information

Location
Álamos & Around , Mexico
Address
Plaza de Armas
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Álamos’ parish church is the tallest building in town. It was built between 1786 and 1804 and despite having only one tower, bears a resemblance to the slightly earlier ‘White Dove of the Desert’ mission church in Tucson, Arizona. The altar rail, lamps, censers and candelabra were fashioned from silver, but were all ordered to be melted down in 1866 by General Ángel Martínez after he booted French troops out of Álamos. Seven or so subterranean passageways between the church and Álamos mansions – probably escape routes for rich families in times of attack – were blocked off in the 1950s.