Ex-Templo de San Agustín

sights / Architecture

Ex-Templo de San Agustín information

Location
Zacatecas , Mexico
Opening hours
10am-4.30pm Tue-Sun
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

The Ex-Templo de San Agustín was built for Augustinian monks in the 17th century. During the 19th-century anticlerical movement, the church became a cantina and Masonic lodge. In 1882 it was purchased by American Presbyterian missionaries who destroyed its 'too Catholic' main facade, replacing it with a blank white wall. One surviving feature is the church's plateresque carving of the conversion of St Augustine over the north doorway.

In the 20th century the church returned to the government. Today it hosts art exhibitions plus a multimedia light show (Saturdays at 9pm in summer), when the church's original (and very beautiful) facade is 're-created' in extraordinary 3D scenes.