Fort Rinella

sights / Military

Fort Rinella information

Location
Fort Rinella , Malta
Address
Triq Santu Rokku
Telephone
+356 2180 9713
Prices
adult/child/family €8/7/18
Opening hours
10am-5pm Tue-Sun
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Built by the British in the late 19th century, Fort Rinella , 1.5km northeast of Vittoriosa, was one of two coastal batteries designed to counter the threat of Italy’s new ironclad battleships. The batteries (the second one was on Tigné Point in Sliema) were equipped with the latest Armstrong 100-tonne guns – the biggest muzzle-loading guns ever made. Their 100-tonne shells had a range of 6.4km and could penetrate 38cm of armour plating. The guns were never fired in anger, and were retired in 1906. Fort Rinella has been restored by a group of amateur enthusiasts from the Malta Heritage Trust and is now one of Malta’s most interesting military museums.