go to content go to search box go to global site navigation

Palanga

History

Lying on what was for centuries a stretch of Lithuanian Coast, between German territory to the south and German- or Polish-dominated territory to the north, Palanga has often been Lithuania's only port - or potential port, for it was destroyed by the Swedish in 1710. It was a resort in the 19th century, and a Soviet hot spot. After 1991, villas and holiday homes nationalised under the Soviets were slowly returned to their original owners, and family-run hotels and restaurants opened. In 2005 the city's main pedestrian street had a face-lift befitting the sparkling reputation Palanga now enjoys.