Gediminas Hill

Gediminas Hill information

Location
Vilnius , Lithuania
Prices
funicular adult/child 3/2Lt
Opening hours
funicular 10am-7pm
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Vilnius was founded on 48m-high Gediminas Hill, topped since the 13th century by Gedimino Tower. Its walls were ruined during the Russian occupation (1655-61), but it was restored in 1930 to house the Upper Castle Museum.

The Renaissance ushered in the Royal Palace (Valdovūrumai), where the first Lithuanian operas were performed.

A quadrangle of four wings enclosing a vast courtyard of 10,000 sq m, the palace buzzed with masked balls, banquets and tournaments in the 16th century. But in 1795 with the Russian occupation of Lithuania the palace - along with the Lower Castle and city defence wall - was demolished.

This palace of incredible dimensions rose from the ashes in 2009 to mark the millennium anniversary of the first mention of Lithuania in writing.