Old French Consulate
The Old French Consulate, not far south of the Arch of Marcus Aurelius, dates from 1630 and is arrayed around a two-storey tiled...
Arch of Marcus Aurelius
This last remnant of the ancient Roman city of Oea was completed in AD 163-64. The Arch of Marcus Aurelius stood at the crossroads of...
Old British Consulate
The Old British Consulate building, west of the Gurgi Mosque on Shari Hara Kbira, was first constructed in 1744 as a residence for Ahmed...
Gurgi Mosque information
The Gurgi Mosque, just west of the Arch of Marcus Aurelius, was built in the 19th century and was the last mosque built in Tripoli under the Turks. Although quite small, its interior is the most beautiful in the city. The main prayer hall contains imported marble pillars from Italy, ceramic tilework from Tunisia and intricate stone carvings from Morocco. The large, covered platform was reserved for VIPs.
The mihrab (niche facing Mecca) and the domes above the main room are adorned with extremely beautiful stone lattice carvings, again with floral motifs; there are 16 domes but the one above the mihrab is particularly fine. The tomb of Mustapha Gurgi (a Tripoli naval captain) and his family are in an antechamber at the back.