Hammam al-Jadid

Hammam al-Jadid information

Tripoli (Trablous) , Lebanon
Address
Street Plaque 30
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Lonely Planet review

While certainly not new - Hammam al-Jadid was built around 1740 - it was in use until the 1970s and is the city's best-preserved and largest hammam (with the exception of the still-functioning Hammam al-Abd). It was donated as a gift to the city by As'ad Pasha al-Azem, governor of Damascus, and no expense was spared in its construction. Draped over the portal is a representation of a 14-link chain carved from a single block of stone.

A huge, glass-pierced dome dominates the main chamber and brings a dim light to the pool and fountain below. The floor and fountain are laid with slabs of marble in contrasting colours. Several smaller chambers, also with glass-pierced domes, lead off the main room.