Fountain sights in Jordan
- Sort by:
Built in AD 191, the Nymphaeum was once a large, two-storey complex with fountains, mosaics, stone carvings and possibly a 600 sq metre swimming pool – all dedicated to the nymphs (mythical young girls who lived in and around the rivers). Up until 1947, the ancient stream and Roman bridge still stood where the road now runs. Excavations started in earnest in 1993, and restoration will continue for many years. Except for a few columns, an elegant archway and a few alcoves, there is little to see, though the workers toiling away may yet reveal hidden treasures in the years to come.