Neighbourhood sights in Nagasaki
- Sort by:
Between the Shianbashi shopping and nightlife area and Nakashima-gawa (the smaller of the city's two rivers), the Teramachi district is anchored at either end by Nagasaki's two best-known temples.
Sōfuku-ji was built in 1629 by Chinese monk Chaonian. Its red entrance gate (Daiippo-mon) exemplifies Ming-dynasty architecture. Inside the temple is a huge cauldron that was used to prepare food for famine victims in 1681, and a statue of Maso, goddess of the sea.
From here, it's a relaxing walk of about 1.2km to Kōfuku-ji, along a side street lined with more temples, stone walls and shops selling Buddhist articles, crafts and dolls. The temple dates from the 1620s and is noted…
During Japan's long period of seclusion, Chinese traders were theoretically just as restricted as the Dutch, but in practice they were relatively free. Only a couple of buildings remain from the old area, but Nagasaki still has an energetic Chinese community, evident in the city's culture, architecture, festivals and cuisine. Visitors come from far and wide to eat here and shop for Chinese crafts and trinkets.
The 26 Martyrs Memorial(日本二十六聖人殉教地) features reliefs commemorating the six Spanish and 20 Japanese crucified in 1597, when authorities cracked down on practising Christians. The youngest killed were boys aged 12 and 13. Behind the memorial is a simple Christianity-related museum.
Fukusai-ji Kannon is in the form of a huge astral turtle carrying an 18m-high figure of the goddess Kannon. Inside, a Foucault pendulum, demonstrating the rotation of the earth, hangs from the top. It's the third-largest such pendulum in the world, after those in St Petersburg and Paris. The original temple, built in 1628, was completely burnt by the A-bomb fire. The…