Nagoya-jō

Nagoya-jō information

Location
Nagoya , Japan
Address
1-1 Honmaru
Telephone
+81 52 231 1700
Getting there
Subway: Shiyakusho, exit 7
More information
www.nagoyajo.city.nagoya.jp
Prices
adult/child ¥500/free
Opening hours
9am-4.30pm
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

The original structure, built between 1610 to 1614 by Tokugawa Ieyasu for his ninth son, was levelled in WWII. Today's castle is a concrete replica (with elevator) completed in 1959. Renovations are ongoing. On the roof, look for the 3m-long gilded shachi-hoko – legendary creatures possessing a tiger's head and carp's body. Inside, find treasures, an armour collection and the histories of the Oda, Toyotomi and Tokugawa families. The beautiful year-round garden, Ninomaru-en (二の丸園) has a number of pretty teahouses.

Painstaking reconstruction of the Honmaru Palace (1624–44) using traditional materials and methods commenced in 2009. The project is scheduled for completion in 2018.