Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista

sights / Architecture

Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista information

Venice , Italy
Campiello della Scuola 2454
San Polo
+390 41 71 82 34
Getting there
Ferry: Ferrovia
More information
admission €5
Opening hours
vary, check website
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Flagellants founded this confraternity in 1261, and it served as social club to the Council of Ten, Venice’s dreaded secret service. Political power had obvious perks: Pietro Lombardo’s 1481 triumphal entry arch, a Codussi-designed double staircase, and a 1729 1st-floor meeting hall designed by Giorgio Massari and decorated by Giandomenico Tiepolo, who was obliged to finish contracts begun by his father.

Bellini and Titian turned out world-class works for the scuola that have since been moved to the Gallerie dell’Accademia – but Palma Il Giovane’s works still illuminate the Sala d’Albergo, and Pietro Longhi’s wriggling baby Jesus is magnetic in Adoration of the Wise Men . The confraternity was suppressed by Napoleon, and today the scuola hosts conferences and concerts, and opens occasionally to the public during the day.

If you get the chance to visit, ask at the front desk to look inside the chapel across the street. The deconsecrated Chiesa di San Giovanni Evangelista has a Tintoretto Crucifixion , and the adjoining private chapel founded by the Badoer family in 970 features Pietro Vecchia's painting of St John the Evangelist holding a pen, eagerly awaiting dictation from God.