Pieve di Santa Maria
Casa Museo di Ivan Bruschi
The 13th-century Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo opposite the pieve was restored in the 1960s by Ivan Bruschi, a wealthy antiques...
Palazzo della Fraternità dei Laici
The Palazzo della Fraternità dei Laici with its churchlike façade, in the northwest corner of the piazza, was started in 1375 in the...
This lopsided and steeply sloping piazza is located behind the pieve and is overlooked at its upper end by the porticos of the Palazzo...
There are no mad scientists working in this glass-fronted lab, just a team of pastry chefs who who delight Arentini with their exquisite...
Lonely Planet review
This 12th-century church (Arezzo's oldest) has a magnificent Romanesque arcaded facade adorned with dozens of carved columns, each uniquely decorated. Above the central doorway are 13th-century carved reliefs known as the Cyclo dei Mesi , which represent the months of the year. January's figure has two faces: one looks back on the previous year and the other looks forward.
Inside, the undoubted highlight is Pietro Lorenzetti's polyptych, Madonna and Saints (1320–24), beneath the semidome of the apse. Below the altar is a 14th-century silver bust reliquary of the city's patron saint, San Donato. Other treasures include a 13th-century crucifix by Margarito di Arezzo, which hangs near the door to the sacristy, and a fresco on a column behind the alter (left-hand side) of Saints Francesco and Domenico by Andrea di Nerio (1331–69).