Basilica di San Francesco
Casa Museo di Ivan Bruschi
The 13th-century Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo opposite the pieve was restored in the 1960s by Ivan Bruschi, a wealthy antiques...
Pieve di Santa Maria
This 12th-century church (Arezzo's oldest) has a magnificent Romanesque arcaded facade adorned with dozens of carved columns, each...
Caffè dei Costanti
Arezzo's oldest and most atmospheric cafe is located directly opposite the Basilica di San Francesco, so it's a perfect coffee stop...
Trattoria del Leone
A perfect example of the trattoria model that is trending in Tuscany today, del Leone is found in a slightly obscure location on some...
Piazza San Francesco · interesting places nearby
Cappella Bacci information
Gracing the apse of the 14th-century Basilica di San Francesco is the Capella Bacci, a chapel housing one of the greatest works of Italian art, Piero della Francesca's fresco cycle of the Legend of the True Cross . Painted between 1452 and 1466, it relates in 10 episodes the story of the cross on which Christ was crucified.
This medieval legend is as entertaining as it is inconceivable. The illustrations follows the story of the tree that Seth plants on the grave of his father, Adam, and from which the True Cross is made. Another scene shows the long-lost cross being rediscovered by Helena, mother of the emperor Constantine; behind her, the city of Jerusalem is represented by a medieval view of Arezzo. Other scenes show the victory of Heraclius over the Persian king Khosrau, who had been accused of stealing the cross; Constantine sleeping in a tent on the eve of his battle with Maxentius (note Piero's masterful depiction of the nocturnal light); and Constantine carrying the cross into battle.
Two of the best-loved scenes depicts the meeting of the Queen of Sheba and King Solomon. In the first half she is kneeling on a bridge over the Siloam River and meeting with the king; she and her attendants are depicted wearing rich Renaissance-style gowns. In the second half, King Solomon's palace seems to be modelled on the designs of notable architect Leon Battista Alberti.
Only 25 people are allowed into the chapel every half-hour (maximum 30-minute visit), so advance booking is recommended. The ticket office is down the stairs located at the basilica's entrance.