Palazzo Beneventano del Bosco
In the northwestern corner of Piazza del Duomo is the Palazzo Beneventano del Bosco, which has a pretty 18th-century facade.
The Duomo was a 5th-century BC Greek temple that was converted into a church when the island was evangelised by St Paul. Its most...
Piazza del Duomo
Syracuse's showpiece square is a masterpiece in baroque town planning. A long, rectangular piazza flanked by flamboyant palazzi, it...
A recommended drinking spot in Ortygia is the literary Biblios Cafe .
Near the cathedral, the Pescomare serves a good selection of local fish dishes and a wide range of pizza. Grab a spot in the...
Lonely Planet review
The Palazzo Municipale or Palazzo Senatoriale was built in 1629 by the Spanish architect Juan Vermexio, nicknamed 'Il Lucertolone' or 'the lizard'. On the left corner of the cornice is the architect's signature: a small lizard carved into a stone. In recent years, excavations beneath the building have uncovered the unfinished remains of an Ionic temple, better known as the 'couch of Artemis', to whom Ortygia was dedicated.
The mansion now serves as the city hall. To see the temple's remains, just ask at the gate.