Fringed by imposing churches and buildings, this piazza is visually dominated by the over-the-top Fontana Pretoria , one of Palermo's...
Chiesa di Santa Caterina
On Piazza Bellini's northern edge, this ornate baroque church was built between 1566 and 1596, though many of its smooth white statues...
The busy intersection of Corso Vittorio Emanuele and Via Maqueda marks the Quattro Canti, the centre of the oldest part of town, neatly...
In the shadow of La Martorana, this pleasantly situated restaurant is in an ex-theatre, with tables sprawling out onto a terrace. It’s...
Fontana Pretoria information
Lonely Planet review
This huge and ornate fountain, with tiered basins and sculptures rippling in concentric circles, forms the centrepiece of Piazza Pretoria , a spacious square just south of the Quattro Canti.The city bought the fountain in 1573; however, the flagrant nudity of the provocative nymphs proved too much for Sicilian church-goers attending Mass next door, and they prudishly dubbed it the Fountain of Shame.